Hazel Scout • A birth story

Just to warn you…this is a story about a baby being born.  I won’t get into gross details…but nevertheless, a baby was born, so you have been forwarned!

Thursday, June 20th, I was 39 weeks and 2 days pregnant, and was so ready to meet my baby!  I had an appointment with our midwife, and was hoping to get my membranes stripped.  Up until this point, I had refused a cervical check because as a first time mom, I didn’t want to be disappointed at a lack of progress, even though many times checks don’t mean a thing!  Well, I arrived at the clinic where I was told that the midwife was delivering a baby and would not be able to see me today.  Oh man.  I had to try so very hard to keep from crying in front of that receptionist!  Late stage pregnancy hormones are easily bothered.  Thankfully they had an appointment available friday morning so I took that one.  I kept it together until I got into the elevator, then promptly burst into tears.  Much to my chagrin, the elevator stopped at the next floor and more people got on while I was a tearful mess!  I made it home and spent the afternoon sewing a little gown for the baby to wear while in the hospital.

Friday morning we go to the appointment and I am 2 cm dilated and 80% effaced.  The midwife was very surprised, and said she thought we would probably be having a baby over the weekend!  We were very excited and I left the clinic with a smile instead of tears.

I spent the rest of the afternoon walking.  And walking, and walking.  I wanted to meet my baby and was determined to go into labor!  I started having some mild contractions, but they weren’t very consistent and didn’t get closer together.  I decided in the evening to mow the lawn…I had purposely asked Bryan to leave the lawn earlier in the week because I wanted to be able to do it after the appointment.  Unfortunately it didn’t help.

Saturday morning I woke up with a renewed determination to get the baby out!  I finished the rest of the lawn, and did some things around the house.  Around 2 I started to have sharper contractions, by 3 they were 5 minutes apart while we were running errands.  I was so excited!  I called my mom to tell them what was going on.  3 hours later they were still 5 minutes apart, so we decided to go for a walk to try to get things moving a little faster.  We walked for about an hour, but when we got back home, the contractions stopped.  Completely and utterly stopped.  I was so disappointed!  I called my mom, and they had already left to make the 8 hour trek!  Mom and Dad assured me not to worry, that they didn’t mind and were sure the babe would come in the next few days.  Bryan and I went to Walgreens to get some castor oil and orange juice.  After talking to a friend, I decided to rest that night and see if it was just my body telling me I was too tired.  We went to bed.


Sunday morning I woke up, and after making Bryan taste the castor oil first, I drank my cocktail.  It wasn’t that bad at all, just tasted a little bit like dirt.  I started sewing some more and waited for something to happen.  I had to go to the bathroom a couple of times, but it definitely wasn’t a horror story.  I had some contractions during the afternoon, but nothing worth getting worked up about.  We watched a movie and hung out, and my parents and siblings arrived around 7 pm.  We showed them our new house and the left around 8:45.  I decided to just go to bed since obviously nothing was happening.  I started a movie in bed and tried to fall asleep.

10 PM – The first hard contraction came.  It surprised me a little bit, but was still able to stay in bed.

10:10 PM – Another one.  This one was a little bit worse.

10:20 – Woooo!  This one had me out of bed on the floor on all fours.  I told Bryan that we should probably pack some clothes for the hospital.

10:30-11 – contractions are 5 minutes apart, and starting to get more intense.

11-11:30 – Contractions are now 2 minutes apart, and I can no longer walk or talk through them.  We decide we better go to the hospital.  I had wanted to stay at home as long as possible to avoid getting an epidural, but had always said I would go in when they were 2 minutes apart.  I didn’t realize they could be 2 minutes apart for 10 hours.

11:30 – We get to the hospital, and since Bryan works there, he had called on our way and we were able to go straight up to our room.  Sweet!  I get my nightgown on and start getting hooked up to check on baby.  She checks me at 12:30 and I am excited, thinking I was to be told I was a 4 or 5 or maybe even 6!  I say ” Please tell me I am at least a 4..”  The nurses reply?  ” Weeeelll, you are a 3! And 75% effaced” “What?!  Can you even efface backwards???”  She told me that there isn’t much difference between  75-80 but not to worry. Bummer.  I get out of bed and start walking around and bouncing on the ball.

12:30-3:30 – These two hours were pretty bad…the contractions got worse and more intense, and some even started to piggyback each other giving me no break in between.  We walked down to the nursery and got to see a sweet little baby that had just been born.  I hung out in the shower for a bit and the hot water helped as I was having pretty bad back labor during contractions as well.

3:30 – Time to be checked again…I am almost a 5.  Still kind of bummed.  I get out of bed as another contraction it coming and start to kneel down and I feel a pop!  Oh shoot!  My water just broke.  I was REALLY bummed then because I had been hoping my water would wait to break until I was more progressed.  I knew it would get more painful, and sure enough it did.  The first contraction after my water broke, I threw up.  There is nothing worse than throwing up during a contraction.  It is bad.

3:45-5:30 – This time period was awful.  I tried the birthing tub…bad idea.  It made it so much worse!  I couldn’t get comfortable at all.  Bryan was so great the whole time.  He said the perfect things!  The contractions were so intense, at times I felt like I wasn’t even in my own body.  My mind was screaming, even though I didn’t make any noise verbally.  At one point, Bryan said I asked for an epidural, and he replied ” No, Kylie, you can do it, you don’t need one”  I then replied “ok.”  and that was that.  I felt like I was wimping out on myself because I wasn’t even in transition yet!!!  Haha…I totally was.

5:30 – I could sit on the edge of the bed during contractions now, instead of standing and using Bryan as a support.  There was a cup of bright green jello on the windowsill, and I stared at that cup for a long time.  Bryan said I didn’t say a word for an hour…I was so focused.


6:15 – I feel like my body is pushing during a contraction.  I let the midwife and nurses know.

6:45 – I get checked and am 9.9999 cm dilated.  I am given the ok to push when I feel the urge.

7:00 – They let us know that our favorite of the midwives comes on at 7…do we mind if she takes over?  I was so excited about Toni being able to deliver the baby.  God was so gracious in giving me that surprise just when I needed it most!

While I was pushing, I was wondering if I was doing anything at all.  I asked the midwife if she could see baby’s head yet?  Yes she could.  Um, does it have any hair?  Yes, your baby has tons of long black hair.  I started to cry.

7:45 – Sweet Baby is born.  After her head and first shoulder were out, Toni let Bryan deliver her.  Baby cried.  He placed the baby on my chest and I was in awe.  The most beautiful babe I had ever seen.  Baby looked at me with huge eyes.  Then I remembered that I didn’t know what baby was!  A girl.  Baby J was a Hazel Scout!  After the umbilical cord stopped pulsing, Bryan cut the cord.  I held her for an hour and she nursed during that time as well.  Then dad got a turn.  And he fell in love too.




I am so thankful God allowed me to have the birth I wanted.  I was able to do it med-free, and now I feel like superwoman!  Bryan was such a great support, and I couldn’t have done it without him.




Oh, Miss Lady…it’s like you have always been here.


5 Responses to “Hazel Scout • A birth story”
  1. Meghan says:

    This was so beautiful! Thanks for sharing 🙂 I may or may not have crowd reading this..so beautiful.

  2. Danielle Bettmann says:

    Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! My daughter had a very similar birth story just a few months ago… high five for going med-free! I couldn’t believe how amazing I felt afterwards, finally holding my healthy baby. Enjoy every itty-bitty piece of her!

  3. Thanks for sharing Kylie! Aren’t babies such miracles! You did an amazing job! I was the same way during my transition stage…..I didn’t know I was in transition and so I was telling Nate that I couldn’t do it and I needed an epidural because I thought it was going to get even worse, but he helped me through it and only about an hour later lil Rayah was born:) Hazel is such a sweet precious lil gift! You are going to be a great mommy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: